Ham and cheese strata
A classic brunch dish, this strata is a snap to prepare, smells heavenly
when cooking, and tastes equally divine. It’s a substantial dish, so don’t
hesitate to make it for dinner, too!
Yield: 6 servings
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- Ham and Cheese Strata
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 slices low-carb white bread, crusts removed and saved, and square centers
- divided into 16 triangles, staled (cut up and leave out overnight, or toast
- briefly in a 250-degree oven)
- 6 ounces sliced deli ham, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onions, divided
- 6 eggs
- 3-1/4 cups half-and-half cream (1/2 milk, 1/2 cream)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (about 2 shakes)
Instructions:Grease the slow cooker crock with the butter (leave excess in the crock).
Place 8 of the bread triangles into the bottom of the slow cooker; sprinkle
in the trimmed-off crusts so that the bottom of the slow cooker is covered
Add the ham, sprinkling it over the bread to make a thick layer, then add
all but 1/2 cup of the cheese. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the onions over the
cheese; top with remaining 8 bread triangles and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, cream, salt, pepper and Tabasco
sauce; whisk until blended. Pour the egg mixture over the bread triangles,
then sprinkle with remaining onions. Let mixture sit 15 minutes, then
sprinkle on reserved 1/2 cup of cheese.
Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. Remove the slow cooker lid and let the
strata rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.