Herbed Carrot Salad
Total Time: 25
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
This easy, no-added-fat herbed carrot salad plays the nutty flavor of toasted sunflower seeds against sweet carrots and fresh herbs. Serve it right away or make it the day before.
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, plus extra to taste
- 3 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 cups shredded carrots (from 5-6 large carrots)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Using a mortar and pestle or the side of a knife, crush garlic with salt until a thick paste forms. Place garlic paste in your serving bowl. Add vinegar and lemon juice and let stand for at least 10 minutes, letting the garlic macerate.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium-low heat, toast sunflower seeds until nicely browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside.
Add carrots and herbs to the garlic mixture. Add sunflower seeds and toss. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.