Jerusalem Artichoke Soup
Yield: Serves 6
Thin strips of lightly cooked spinach add a vibrant note to this smooth, rich soup.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium-size mealy potato, peeled and quartered
- 6 thin slices baked ham, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 ounces fresh spinach
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup medium or whipping cream
Instructions:1. In a large saucepan, combine the chicken broth, Jerusalem artichokes, potato, and ham. Cover and cook at a gentle bubble for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
2. Transfer to the container of a blender or processor and whirl until smooth. Return to the saucepan and blend in the lime juice and cumin.
3. Rinse the spinach and remove the tough stems. Stack the leaves in small bunches and cut across into thin shreds. Add to the soup. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the cream. Place over medium heat and warm gently, but do not boil. When the spinach is wilted, ladle into soup bowls and serve hot.