9 Responses to Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins

1. Gale Coldwell June 9, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

I needed a great blueberry muffin recipe to utilize some freshly picked local (central Florida) blueberries which I had frozen a few weeks ago.
    Having grown up in MA, near a Jordan Marsh store, I fondly remember how great their muffins were.
    Although I am not sure if this recipe is the authentic Jordan Marsh blueberry muffin recipe, it is pretty good!

It’s ingredients are pretty basic, therefore I had all of the ingredients on hand.
    It was easy to put together-no sifting.
    The muffins were perfectly browned after 5 extra minutes of baking-due to the use of frozen berries. They were sweet enough, and moist.
    This recipe made 16 regular sized muffins.

The muffin mix was pretty thick and cold, so its consistency was more like a dough instead of a batter.
    These muffins didn’t crown, or form a muffin top which was fine with me. That may have been due to the batter consistency, and temperature.
    This time I did not mash any berries, as the recipe suggested, but next time I will.
    Lastly, I believe this recipe would work well as a base for other fruit muffins.

I would rate this recipe 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

• Chef Steven July 23, 2014 at 1:27 pm #

I grew up in Brookline & W. Newton. I ate “thousands” of these. When I found the (supposed) recipe, I made many batches, adusting and tweaking for my kitchen, oven, etc. Best tips: (1) Never use frozen blueberries. Period. (2) Re-read Tip #1! (3) Wild Maine or NH blueberries yield the best tasting result; HOWEVER, cultivated large blueberries were used by the JM bakery. I have verified this fact. (4) Flour the blueberries before GENTLY folding them in!

• Joanne August 7, 2015 at 3:23 pm #

Thank you for the reminder to toss the berries in some of the flower first! Then they don’t sink all together. Best recipe ever. I lost it in a move with other recipes but thank heavens for the Net and the ability to find everything it would seem.

2. elaine weiner February 6, 2014 at 9:36 am #

Funny….I have this recipe from Spark.Com and it is “interesting” that the picture in both has a cupcake/muffin paper, but the picture doesn’t. I am waiting for Maine blueberries to be in season and then plan to make a large batch of these. The Jordan Marsh muffins were the best ever!!

3. Janet Young February 27, 2014 at 2:57 pm #

This recipe looks so Yummy. Have not had a blueberry muffin in so many years cannot remember when!

I used to live on Cape Cod – moved to Hawaii when I was very young. Since I left I have never had a blueberry that is “blue” inside. They are all white. And although tangy there is no blueberry taste.

Just want to know from you, your readers are the blueberries today back east really blue and taste like blueberries?

Our memories are eating blueberry muffins, pie etc and our hands tongue lips were actually blue. For most people throughout the country myself included I guess that is just a fond memory,

Thank you Yankee Magazine brought back lots of memories, as usual. And yes I will keep recipe just in case I ever come across “blue” berries.

Aloha ~ Janet

4. Barbara February 27, 2014 at 6:21 pm #

Maine blueberries are the best there are – ever, anywhere!!! And, yes they are blue through and through.

5. Jackie March 1, 2014 at 9:08 am #

Each Yankee Magazine New England Minute is an eagerly awaited adventure. With today’s ‘Minute’ I was thrilled to find the Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins recipe – not only were they the best tasting but are connected to happy family memories for me – even inspired a post on my blog titled “Best Ever Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins Served With Memories.”
    Thanks for finding and sharing this recipe

6. carmella July 12, 2015 at 4:34 pm #

I agree with everyone – tasted good but why didn’t make a great muffin top?

7. Scott Paro July 25, 2015 at 11:30 am #

I grew up in New England and never had these muffins until I moved to Boston for university back in 1985. The first time I enjoyed on of these muffins was right out of their window. A friend introduced them to me. Fast forward to 2015 and I live on Vancouver Island Canada. The blueberries are in abundance. I researched the Jordan Marsh recipe and much to my happiness there is was in front of me.

These muffins are by far the best. Perhaps it is the simplicity, perhaps it is the flavour but mostly because they are a New England memory that brought me back to a fun innocent time. Every guest who enjoyed this muffin was raving and wanted to know the story of the recipe.

Thanks to Yankee Magazine for bringing me back this very fond memory.