22 Responses to Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins

1. Gale Coldwell June 9, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

I needed a great blueberry muffin recipe to utilize some freshly picked local (central Florida) blueberries which I had frozen a few weeks ago.
    Having grown up in MA, near a Jordan Marsh store, I fondly remember how great their muffins were.
    Although I am not sure if this recipe is the authentic Jordan Marsh blueberry muffin recipe, it is pretty good!

It’s ingredients are pretty basic, therefore I had all of the ingredients on hand.
    It was easy to put together-no sifting.
    The muffins were perfectly browned after 5 extra minutes of baking-due to the use of frozen berries. They were sweet enough, and moist.
    This recipe made 16 regular sized muffins.

The muffin mix was pretty thick and cold, so its consistency was more like a dough instead of a batter.
    These muffins didn’t crown, or form a muffin top which was fine with me. That may have been due to the batter consistency, and temperature.
    This time I did not mash any berries, as the recipe suggested, but next time I will.
    Lastly, I believe this recipe would work well as a base for other fruit muffins.

I would rate this recipe 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

• Chef Steven July 23, 2014 at 1:27 pm #

I grew up in Brookline & W. Newton. I ate “thousands” of these. When I found the (supposed) recipe, I made many batches, adusting and tweaking for my kitchen, oven, etc. Best tips: (1) Never use frozen blueberries. Period. (2) Re-read Tip #1! (3) Wild Maine or NH blueberries yield the best tasting result; HOWEVER, cultivated large blueberries were used by the JM bakery. I have verified this fact. (4) Flour the blueberries before GENTLY folding them in!

• Joanne August 7, 2015 at 3:23 pm #

Thank you for the reminder to toss the berries in some of the flower first! Then they don’t sink all together. Best recipe ever. I lost it in a move with other recipes but thank heavens for the Net and the ability to find everything it would seem.

2. elaine weiner February 6, 2014 at 9:36 am #

Funny….I have this recipe from Spark.Com and it is “interesting” that the picture in both has a cupcake/muffin paper, but the picture doesn’t. I am waiting for Maine blueberries to be in season and then plan to make a large batch of these. The Jordan Marsh muffins were the best ever!!

3. Janet Young February 27, 2014 at 2:57 pm #

This recipe looks so Yummy. Have not had a blueberry muffin in so many years cannot remember when!

I used to live on Cape Cod – moved to Hawaii when I was very young. Since I left I have never had a blueberry that is “blue” inside. They are all white. And although tangy there is no blueberry taste.

Just want to know from you, your readers are the blueberries today back east really blue and taste like blueberries?

Our memories are eating blueberry muffins, pie etc and our hands tongue lips were actually blue. For most people throughout the country myself included I guess that is just a fond memory,

Thank you Yankee Magazine brought back lots of memories, as usual. And yes I will keep recipe just in case I ever come across “blue” berries.

Aloha ~ Janet

4. Barbara February 27, 2014 at 6:21 pm #

Maine blueberries are the best there are – ever, anywhere!!! And, yes they are blue through and through.

5. Jackie March 1, 2014 at 9:08 am #

Each Yankee Magazine New England Minute is an eagerly awaited adventure. With today’s ‘Minute’ I was thrilled to find the Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins recipe – not only were they the best tasting but are connected to happy family memories for me – even inspired a post on my blog -newsandviewsjb.wordpress.com titled “Best Ever Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins Served With Memories.”
    Thanks for finding and sharing this recipe
    JB

6. carmella July 12, 2015 at 4:34 pm #

I agree with everyone – tasted good but why didn’t make a great muffin top?

7. Scott Paro July 25, 2015 at 11:30 am #

I grew up in New England and never had these muffins until I moved to Boston for university back in 1985. The first time I enjoyed on of these muffins was right out of their window. A friend introduced them to me. Fast forward to 2015 and I live on Vancouver Island Canada. The blueberries are in abundance. I researched the Jordan Marsh recipe and much to my happiness there is was in front of me.

These muffins are by far the best. Perhaps it is the simplicity, perhaps it is the flavour but mostly because they are a New England memory that brought me back to a fun innocent time. Every guest who enjoyed this muffin was raving and wanted to know the story of the recipe.

Thanks to Yankee Magazine for bringing me back this very fond memory.

Scott

8. Ruthie November 5, 2015 at 5:27 pm #

It would be proper to say add the flour mixture ALTERNATELY with the milk, starting and ending with flour. Not everyone is used to making muffins/cakes from scratch, and this ius how it is done correctly!
    These muffins are super with a lobster meal!!

9. Kathy November 5, 2015 at 7:47 pm #

I’ve had the Jordan Blueberry Muffins recipe for decades. Mine says to use “1/2 cup of milk scant with some sour cream.” It also says to “pile batter high in tins,” and that the recipe “makes 12 huge muffins.”

I believe that what I have is the original recipe. I would be very interested in learning if others have this recipe as well.

10. eric wortman November 30, 2015 at 11:37 am #

I make them. it’s really the best recipe ever.

11. A Miller March 19, 2016 at 1:37 pm #

Does anyone have the recipe for Jordan Marsh fruit muffins? They had the maraschino cherry on top. You could buy them at the Jordan Marsh Bakery or get them at Colestone’s on Hawley St.

12. M Rea March 21, 2016 at 1:31 pm #

Jordan Marsh was recently in the news again. The rights to the name has been purchased and the new people plan to open in the near future. I hope they have the muffins!

13. Ruth April 7, 2016 at 5:24 pm #

I’ve been making this recipe for over thirty years. I have also substituted chopped Apple tossed in cinnamon and sugar… Yummy!

14. Lisa April 9, 2016 at 5:19 pm #

The only difference as far as ingredients is an extra 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.

15. Terry April 14, 2016 at 11:33 am #

I made these muffins at the request of my boyfriend, who has fond memories of them from his youth, growing up in the Boston area. He thought mine turned out great!

After watching the WCVB video, I came up with the following tips:

1) I used 1 cup of bread flour and 1 cup of pastry flour. I made my own pastry flour by using 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup of cake flour.

2) I mixed 1/4 cup of the flour mixture (see step 3) with the whole blueberries

3) Add the vanilla to the milk, set aside. In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt) with a wire whisk.

4) As another reviewer pointed out, alternate adding your wet (milk and vanilla) and dry (flour, baking powder and salt) ingredients, mixing slowly (with a mixer) until just combined. Don’t overmix your batter. My suggestion is 3 parts dry ingredients to 2 parts wet.

5) I mashed 1/2 cup of thawed frozen blueberries, drained well, and mixed that into the batter, by hand, before adding the whole fresh blueberries–again, by hand.

6) I used a jumbo muffin pan, and used jumbo-size paper liners. I filled each liner to the very top. Mine made 9 muffins.

7) I literally added roughly 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar to the tops of some of my muffins, and 1 tablespoon of turbinado sugar to the tops of others. From now on I will use only granulated sugar; the turbinado sugar didn’t form that “sugar crust” on top.

8) I baked my muffins at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, then lowered the temperature (so the tops wouldn’t burn) to 350 for another 8 minutes. This worked perfectly. I let them cool in the pan, on a cooling rack, for 10 minutes, then removed the muffins and let them finish cooling.

This is a great recipe, and I will definitely be making them again!

16. Carole Consigli April 25, 2016 at 5:31 pm #

This is not the original Jordon Marsh blueberry muffin recipe the original does not have all purpose flour it has bread and pastry flour

17. Fran M July 11, 2016 at 3:33 pm #

I am convinced that something is being left out from all of these recipes floating around. I made mine exactly as the baker described on the WCVB news segment, mashing blueberries and coating the rest in flour, using bread and pastry flour. Still didn’t stack up to the taste memory I have from the downtown bakery. Oh well.

18. Erin F July 13, 2016 at 8:30 am #

I used to make muffins from a mix, but they always came out too dense and sweet. Over the years, I’ve also been searching for the perfect muffin recipe, but found nothing that came out just right. This recipe is perfect! The only thing I changed out (which I highly recommend) is replacing milk with buttermilk. These muffins are light and fluffy, and are not overly sweet. Next time, I am going to try a mixed berry version with blueberries, raspberries and blackberries.

19. Priscilla Jacobson July 14, 2016 at 9:45 am #

There are none better!
    Bought mine in the Bedford NH Jordan March.

20. kim July 19, 2016 at 8:13 pm #

I have not tried the recipe above. I’m sure it’s good. But I watched the original recipe made by the original chef and I found this recipe( I have yet to make it either). After reading what this other person did to the recipe it seems almost identical to the original recipe.

Hope this helps as another option to try