Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- 3 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, cut into cubes
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a heavy, ovenproof casserole, brown the lamb in the oil. Remove the lamb and set aside. Pour off the excess fat, leaving just enough to saute the garlic. When garlic is golden, add rosemary and tomatoes. Add wine (or stock) and simmer for about 5 minutes. Return lamb to pot and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 325 degrees F for about 1-1/2 hours.