Laredo Salad with Marinated Onions
- 1 large yellow onion, halved (or half red, half yellow onion)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 ounces mixed salad greens (about 6 cups loosely packed)
- 2 large tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup (packed) cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 or 2 small fresh chilies, sliced
- 4 black olives
- Picante Vinaigrette (see instructions)
Place onion flat-sides down and thinly slice crosswise, discarding papery skin. Combine vinegar, water, sugar, cumin, chili powder and salt in a container with lid. Shake well to mix, add onion and shake to coat onion thoroughly. Place in refrigerator and marinate overnight, shaking onions in marinade two or three times.
To assemble salad, heap lettuce on 4 plates. Arrange tomato slices on salads, radiating out from center, wagon-wheel fashion. Lift onions from marinade and heap into center. Halve, seed and peel avocado. Slice each half lengthwise into thin slices, keeping slices attached at one end. Fan out and divide each fan onto two salads. Sprinkle salads with cilantro and chile slices. Add olives. Serve with Picante Vinaigrette.
Yield: 4 servings
– National Onion Association.