Mac's BBQ Sauce (sweet and sour)
Yield: 2 gallons
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped fine (optional)
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped fine (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil or cooking oil (not needed if you don't use onions and peppers)
- 1 8-ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 24-ounce bottle ketchup
- 1 quart cold water
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons grated horseradish
Instructions:In a Dutch oven over medium heat, saute pepper and onion in oil until tender. Turn heat down to low. Add tomato paste and cook for about 2 minutes; add tomato sauce and ketchup and rest of ingredients. Mix well, then bring mixture to a boil and allow to boil for about 4 minutes, stirring so that sauce doesn't stick to bottom of pan.
Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occassionally, until sauce thickens and reduces.
For best results, prepare sauce one day ahead of serving. Bottle or freeze extra sauce. It will last up to 1 year in the freezer, 6 months in the refrigerator.
Note: For an even thicker sauce, mix 1 cup of water with 1/4 cup of cornstarch and stir into sauce. Bring mixture back to boil until sauce thickens to desired consistency, then reduce heat and simmer until done.