Marinated Finger Carrots
Tiny finger carrots marinated in a spicy broth are delightful to munch as an appetizer or as part of a picnic lunch.
- 1 pound finger carrots
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill leaves
1. Steam or boil the carrots until crisp-tender. Immediately submerge them in cold water. Then rub the carrots under a gentle stream of cool tap water to remove their skins. Place them in a bowl.
2. Combine the vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Add the garlic, mustard seed, dill seed, and red pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the dill leaves.
3. Pour the vinegar mixture over the carrots and toss to coat evenly. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours. Stir occasionally to promote even marinating.