Yield: Serves 6.
This onion pie is quiche-like, with added tang and color from the tomatoes. Lovely for lunch or Sunday night supper.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 3 tablespoons chicken fat or butter
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed caraway seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 9-inch pie shell, unbaked and chilled
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, cut in thin slices
- 3/4 cup mild Swiss cheese, shredded
Melt chicken fat or butter and cook onions with thyme over very low heat until transparent (about 20 minutes). Beat eggs, and add milk and seasonings. Brush pie crust with egg white. Fill crust with onions, tomato, and cheese, and spread the egg mixture over the top. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes; lower heat and bake an additional 20 minutes at 350 degrees F. Serve warm.