Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Yield: Makes about 30 cookies.
Soft and fragrant, these are wonderful "as is" or with the cream cheese filling (see Variation). Make them slightly smaller if you plan to fill them.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room
- 1/2 cup mashed or canned pumpkin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Instructions:Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, gradually adding the sugars. Beat in the egg and yolk, pumpkin, and vanilla. Sift the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices into a separate bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture, a third at a time, until evenly mixed. Cover the dough and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter two large baking sheets or line them with parchment paper. With lightly floured hands, roll the dough into 1-1/2-inch-diameter balls and place them on the baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches in between. Bake one sheet at a time on the center oven rack for 16 to 17 minutes. When done, the tops will be dome-shape and yield slightly to light finger pressure. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
Variation: Pumpkin Spice Cookie Filling
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract