Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Total Time: 20
Yield: 6 pies
For the Cakes:
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée (not pumpkin-pie filling), such as One-Pie brand
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
Instructions:Preheat oven to 350° and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add eggs, pumpkin purée, spices, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a rubber spatula, fold in flour until just combined.
With an ice-cream scoop, drop 6 generous mounds of batter, spaced evenly, onto each of two baking sheets. Bake until springy to the touch, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
For the Filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
Instructions:In the bowl of a standing mixer or with an electric beater, cream together cream cheese and butter. Add vanilla, maple syrup, powdered sugar, and salt.
Mix on low speed until blended; then beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Spread the flat sides of 6 cakes with cream-cheese frosting. Top each with another cake.