Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Total Time: 20
Yield: 6 pies
A spin on the traditional chocolate whoopie pie - savor the flavor of fall with these pumpkin whoopie pies. You'll love the maple cream cheese filling sandwiched between the pumpkin spice cakes.
Watch this video to see how it's done: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
For the Cakes:
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée (not pumpkin-pie filling), such as One-Pie brand
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
Instructions:Preheat oven to 350° and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add eggs, pumpkin purée, spices, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a rubber spatula, fold in flour until just combined.
With an ice-cream scoop, drop 6 generous mounds of batter, spaced evenly, onto each of two baking sheets. Bake until springy to the touch, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
For the Filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
Instructions:In the bowl of a standing mixer or with an electric beater, cream together cream cheese and butter. Add vanilla, maple syrup, powdered sugar, and salt.
Mix on low speed until blended; then beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Spread the flat sides of 6 cakes with cream-cheese frosting. Top each with another cake.