Rhubarb Salad with Fennel & Goat Cheese
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Total Time: 30 minutes
Hands On Time: 15 minutes
- 1 pound rhubarb stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup walnut halves
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 small shallot, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small fennel bulb, fronds removed, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 pound mixed baby greens, washed and dried
- 2/3 cup fresh, soft, mild goat cheese (chèvre)
Instructions:Preheat your oven to 450° and set one rack to the top position and the other to the middle position. Line two rimmed baking sheets, one large and one small, with foil.
In a medium-size bowl, toss the rhubarb with the honey; then spread the mixture on the larger baking sheet. Arrange the walnuts on the smaller baking sheet.
When the oven is hot, transfer the rhubarb to the top rack and the walnuts to the middle rack. Cook the rhubarb until the honey begins to caramelize, about 5 minutes (watch closely so that it doesn’t burn). Remove from the oven. Let the walnuts cook another minute or so, until fragrant. Remove from the oven.
Cool the rhubarb and the nuts on the baking sheets while you make the salad. Pour the vinegar into a large salad or serving bowl; then add the shallot and the salt and pepper. Add the oil in a thin stream, whisking as you go. Add the fennel and baby greens; toss gently to coat. Distribute the rhubarb over the greens, then break up the goat cheese and sprinkle over the top. Garnish with walnut halves.