Rustic Apple Tart
Yield: 4-6 servings
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- * 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (from a standard 17.3-ounce package), thawed
- * Flour, for work surface
- * 3 Granny Smith apples
- * 1/3 cup sugar
- * 1 large egg yolk, beaten with 1 teaspoon water, for egg wash
- * 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- * 2 tablespoons apple jelly, or apricot jam
Instructions:1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Open pastry sheet and remove paper. Fold sheet back up. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out pastry sheet (still folded) to an 8-by-14-inch rectangle. Trim edges with a pizza cutter or sharp paring knife. Transfer to a baking sheet; place in freezer. Peel, core, and slice apples 1/4 inch thick. Toss in a large bowl with sugar.
2. Brush pastry with egg wash, avoiding edges. Use a sharp paring knife to score a 3/4-inch border around pastry (do not cut all the way through). Place apples inside border, and dot with butter. Bake until pastry is golden and apples are tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
3. In the microwave or a small saucepan, heat jelly with 1 tablespoon water until melted. Brush apples with glaze. Serve tart warm or at room temperature, cutting into pieces with a serrated knife.
When brushing dough with egg wash, be careful not to let any drip down the sides; it will cause the dough to stick to the pan and prevent it from rising properly.