Rutabaga and Apple Compote
Yield: Serves 6
Chunks of rutabaga and apple are simmered together in a spicy broth. Serve as an accompaniment to roast pork or veal.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 pound rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup sweet white wine, such as Gewürztraminer
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tart apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 1/2 cup raisins
Instructions:1. In a wide saucepan, combine the rutabaga, wine, orange juice, and butter. Cover the pan and cook over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until the rutabaga is partially tender.
2. Add the apples, sugar, cloves, salt, and cinnamon sticks. Continue cooking, uncovered, over medium heat. Stir occasionally. Cook until the rutabaga is tender. Add the raisins and increase the heat to high. Stir constantly until the liquid is reduced to a thick syrupy consistency. Remove the cinnamon sticks, spoon into a decorative bowl, and serve warm.