Shrimp and Crabmeat Casserole
We can't explain why, exactly, but this shrimp and crabmeat casserole is the most popular dish we've ever served. Nobody has ever failed to ask for the recipe. It's also easy to make and can be put together in advance, then baked at the last minute.
- 1/2 pound macaroni
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 10-ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 pound cooked shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 cup cooked crabmeat
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
Add the salt and vegetable oil to 3 quarts boiling water. Add the macaroni and boil rapidly for 10 minutes. Drain and toss with 4 tablespoons butter or margarine.
Sauté the mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter or margarine for about 5 minutes, shaking the pan frequently. Mix the cream, mushroom soup and cheddar cheese together and add to the macaroni. Add the mushrooms, shrimp and crabmeat, which has been cut into bite-size pieces.
Place in a buttered casserole, top with soft bread crumbs which have been tossed with the 1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.