Skewered Caesar Salad
- 12 1/2-inch cubes country bread
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 or 5 Romaine lettuce leaves
- 24 1/2-inch cubes Parmesan cheese
Heat oven to 400°.
In a medium bowl, combine bread cubes and olive oil; toss gently to coat. Place in oven for 5 minutes. Shake pan and cook 1 to 2 minutes more; cubes should be toasted but not too dark, or they'll break when you skewer them.
In the bowl of a food processor, puree garlic, anchovies, mayonnaise, buttermilk, and lemon juice.
Slice Romaine leaves horizontally into 2-inch-wide pieces. Thread a skewer through one piece of cheese. Skewer one end of a lettuce slice. Skewer a bread cube. Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon dressing on top. Skewer the other side of the lettuce. Skewer a second piece of cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients.