Spicy Grilled Beef and Black-Bean Salsa
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 beef tri-tip (bottom sirloin) roast or top sirloin steak, cut 1-1/2 inches thick
- fresh cilantro sprigs (optional), for garnish
Instructions:Combine seasoning ingredients; reserve 2 teaspoons for salsa. Trim fat from beef. Press remaining seasoning mixture evenly onto surface of meat. Place the tri-tip onto grate over medium coals (medium-low coals for top sirloin). Grill 30 to 35 minutes (top sirloin 22 to 30 minutes) for rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Let stand 10 minutes before carving.
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Instructions:For salsa: In a medium bowl, combine beans, tomato, onion, cilantro, and reserved seasoning mixture; mix until blended. Carve the roast across the grain into slices. Arrange beef and bean salsa on a serving platter; garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper