Strawberry Muffins With Strawberry Cream Cheese Spread
Yield: Makes 12.
High, light, and lovely, these have just a hint of orange flavor, which blends beautifully with the strawberries. Admiral Benboa Inn, Newport, Rhode Island
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 12 whole fresh strawberries, cut fan-shaped (for garnish)
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Spread (recipe follows)
Instructions:In a small bowl, sprinkle the chopped strawberries with 1 tablespoon of the sugar and set aside.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat the eggs, oil, milk, and orange rind together and add to the flour mixture, stirring until just moistened. Drain the chopped berries and fold into the batter.
Fill greased or paper-lined muffin tins two-thirds full and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Garnish each muffin with a fan-shaped strawberry and serve warm or cool with Strawberry Cream Cheese Spread.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Spread
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup crushed or chopped fresh strawberries