Summer-Squash Salad with Parmesan & Pine Nuts
Total Time: 25 minutes
Hands On Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 appetizer salads or side servings
Thinly sliced summer squash, served raw, lends sweetness to a lemony salad studded with toasted pine nuts. Use a combination of zucchini and yellow squash to add color to the plate.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 pound summer squash and zucchini, blossom ends trimmed
- 2/3 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, peeled into strips or ribbons
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, and salt; adjust seasoning to taste, and set aside. Place pine nuts on a cookie sheet and bake until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Slice squash and zucchini thinly with a mandoline or vegetable peeler, and toss with dressing. Top with slivers of Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus toasted pine nuts and pepper. Serve immediately.