Suzanne Taylor's "My Four-Grain Bread"
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
"Since I claim this bread as my own invention, I was amused recently to read in a history of the early settlers that they made a similar bread with rye and cornmeal as the ingredients. They called it 'Rye 'n' Injun' bread."
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour (dark, if available)
- 1/3 cup cornmeal, either yellow or white
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast dissolved with 1 tablespoon sugar in about 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1-1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
- egg white mixed with water or milk for glaze