Yield: Makes 2 good-sized pizzas, 8 slices each.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup water (about 115 degree F)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons noninstant milk powder
- 1 tablespoon brewer's yeast flakes (also called nutritional yeast)
- 12 ounces grated mozzarella cheese or crumbled tofu (or both)
Instructions:Stir together yeast, water, oil, and honey. Let yeast soften while you measure out remaining ingredients, then combine all ingredients and knead for 10 to 15 minutes ("I throw my dough into the food processor and let it knead the dough while I get the sauce together"). Add more flour if needed. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled. Punch down, divide in half, and roll each half onto an oiled pizza pan (12 to 14 inches in diameter). Let rise about 15 minutes. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F, until crust just starts to turn brown. Remove from oven and brush with oil. When you're ready to make your pizza, spread 1 cup of sauce (below) on each crust, then top generously with grated mozzarella or crumbled tofu, or both. Bake in a 400 degrees F oven for 5 to 10 minutes, until cheese is bubbling. Serve immediately.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small green pepper; diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Oil, for saut