Tofu With Thai Curry Sauce
Yield: Makes 4 servings, generous 3/4 cup each
- 1 cup "lite" coconut milk (see Ingredient notes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste, or to taste (see Ingredient notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Tofu & vegetables
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, preferably water-packed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups baby spinach (6 ounces)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
Instructions:1. To prepare sauce: Whisk coconut milk, cilantro, curry paste, brown sugar and salt in a small bowl.
2. To prepare tofu: Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Slice the block crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slabs. Coarsely crumble each slice into smaller, uneven pieces.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer, without stirring, until the pieces begin to turn golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Then gently stir and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until all sides are golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes more.
4. Add spinach, bell pepper and the curry sauce and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just cooked, 1 to 2 minutes more.