Turkey Albondigas Soup
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
TIP: To make fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Poblano peppers can be fiery or relatively mild; there's no way to tell until you taste them. Find them at most large supermarkets. Or substitute 2 green bell peppers plus one minced jalapeno pepper (or more to taste).
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see Tip)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 poblano peppers, diced (see Tip)
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup instant brown rice or 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Instructions:1. Line a large baking sheet with wax paper. Place turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Mix gently until combined. Shape the mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls and transfer to the baking sheet. (You should have about 20 meatballs.) Place in the refrigerator and chill for at least 20 minutes or until ready to use.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add peppers, tomatoes, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Carefully submerge the meatballs in the simmering liquid; return to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice. Garnish with jalapeno and cilantro.