Total Time: 30
Yield: 6 servings
This recipe makes a basic soft taco, but add or subtract as you see fit--maybe you like avocados, chopped lettuce, carrots, or olives? Go ahead--get as creative as you like. For burritos or wrap sandwiches, use larger-size flour tortillas.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1-1/2 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 cups leftover turkey meat, roughly chopped
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, rinsed and well-drained
- 1 cup finely chopped tomato
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (approximately) olive oil
- 12 small flour tortillas
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco or mild feta cheese (substitute shredded Monterey jack or mild cheddar)
Instructions:Heat oven to 300°. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine turkey or chicken stock with chili powder and cumin.
Add chopped turkey meat and cook about 10 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine beans, tomato, scallions, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice to make salsa. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in olive oil until you have the consistency you prefer.
Wrap tortillas in a slightly damp kitchen towel and place in the oven for about 10 minutes (or in microwave on high for 1 minute), or until softened and warm. Lay them on a plate. Place a few tablespoons of turkey (use a slotted spoon), 1 tablespoon of bean salsa, and some cheese on first tortilla and fold in half. Repeat with remaining ingredients.