Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup natural cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- Confectioners' sugar
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 8-inch-square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Whisk flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together in pan. As shown in photo 1, make 1 large and 2 small craters in dry ingredients. Add oil to large crater and vinegar and vanilla separately to remaining small craters. Pour water into pan (photo 2), and mix until just a few streaks of flour remain (photo 3). Immediately put pan in oven.
3. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Cool in pan, then dust with confectioners’ sugar. (If tightly wrapped, cake will keep for 3 days at room temperature.)